Dell SVR4 on non-Dell hardware?

Tim Wright tim at dell.co.uk
Tue Feb 12 01:59:39 AEST 1991

In <290 at mondy.UUCP> mdm at mondy.UUCP (Michael D. Mondy) writes:

>In article <14656 at uudell.dell.com> sblair at upurbmw.dell.com (Steve Blair) writes:
>steve> [...]
>steve> **IF YOU INTEND TO RUN DELL's SYS V.4, on *non-DELL* h/w:
>steve> [...]
>steve> 3) Tape Controllers/Tape Drives: Adaptec *QIC150/250* drive
>steve> 			Adaptec Tape Controller
>steve> *are the *ONLY* supported controller & drive*

>In article <3085 at sixhub.UUCP> davidsen at sixhub.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>bill>   My beta stuff said Wangtek PC-36 and EV-811, and experience says they
>bill> both work, with the 5099 or 5125 drives.
>bill>

>   Dell used to (still does?) sell the Wangtek 5150EQ drive which uses a
>QIC-02 interface (as opposed to a SCSI or QIC-36 interface).  The adaptor
>for this drive is the PC-02.  It appears that the device driver also
>supports the PC-36 adaptor which uses QIC-36 to the wangtek 5xxxEK and
>5xxxEN drives?
>   I cannot imagine that Dell would drop support for hardware that they sell
>when coming out with a new release of unix!  It would not exactly have a
>positive effect on customer upgrades :).
>   Anybody know which adaptors are functionally equivalent to each other?
>I imagine people would like to run scsi tape drives off of the 1542; perhaps
>someone at Dell can comment on when support for this will be available.

I'm not really a hardware guru but I *think* that QIC-02 is a subset of
QIC-36 i.e. yes QIC-02 drives do indeed work. Having fooled around with a
few Quarter Inch Cartridge drives under V4 (including the 5150EQ), I have
yet to find one that won't work.
Your mileage may vary :-)
Tim
--
Tim Wright, Dell Computer Corp. (UK) | Email address
Bracknell, Berkshire, RG12 1RW       | Domain: tim at dell.co.uk
Tel: +44-344-860456                  | Uucp: ...!ukc!delluk!tim
"What's the problem? You've got an IQ of six thousand, haven't you?"