UUCP TIMEOUTS

Ian G Batten igb at fulcrum.bt.co.uk
Mon Feb 25 23:27:02 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb24.175541.540 at britesun.radig.de> vhs at britesun.radig.de (Volker Herminghaus-Shirai) writes:
> I had the very same problem with the uucico on my SparcStation 1. In fact
> I actually patched the uucico-binary to get a timeout of 64 seconds instead
> of the hard-coded(!) 45 seconds. Here is the program I used:

If this is a joke, it's a very subtle one.  You've not had to do this to
get extra timeouts for long call set ups with UKUUCP, V7 UUCP, SVR2
UUCP, SVR[34] UUCP (ie Honeydanber), SunOS {3.5,4.0} (ie BSD) or SunOS
4.1 (ie HDB + hacks).  They all provide some moral equivalent of
changing CONNECT-\n-CONNECT to CONNECT-\c-CONNECT-\c-CONNECT and so on.
There may be some elderly cases where each sub-timeout generates a
superfluous carriage return, but unless you have some brain-dead modem
that stops handshaking on any character from the DTE (I've seen 'em)
this will have little effect.

> /* This is only for SunOS 4.1.1 Sparc */

Right.  For ANY CASE of waiting for xxx, you can double the wait period
by writing xxx-\c-xxx, triple it with xxx-\c-xxx-\c-xxx and so on.
Anyone who makes binary patches to binary the source to which they do
not have needs a better reason than this, I'd say.