Simple database software for sysV?

Leslie Mikesell les at chinet.chi.il.us
Fri Feb 1 08:51:52 AEST 1991

In article <6278 at spdcc.SPDCC.COM> rbraun at spdcc.COM (Rich Braun) writes:
>Currently I use a DOS box in my home to, among other things, manage a
>10,000-name mailing list.  Each record is about 300 bytes, so the whole
>thing fits in a bit over 3 megabytes.

>Having just gone on spree throughout the Internet collecting lots of useful
>public-domain software for SysV, I'm now considering taking the plunge and
>installing SysV at home.  This means replacing all my DOS software with Unix
>lookalikes, and I've accomplished that except for the database stuff.

>All I need is relatively simple data entry, sorting, searching, and printing
>capabilities; I don't need a $500 FoxBase or Paradox package.

>Any recommendations on low-cost or no-cost database software for SysV?

There was something called "cardfile" that might work that was posted
sometime in October to one of the source groups.

However, if you already have a certain amount of time and money invested
in DOS and your machine is going to be a '386, why not get VP/ix or
Merge and continue to run DOS as a unix task?  I have reservations about
this approach in a multiuser environment, but for a personal machine
it works great and also maintains your ability to handle all your old
archive files without having to convert everything for the new environment.

Les Mikesell
  les at chinet.chi.il.us