Simple database software for sysV?

Chin Fang fangchin at elaine46.stanford.edu
Sat Feb 2 08:56:11 AEST 1991

In article <6278 at spdcc.SPDCC.COM> rbraun at spdcc.COM (Rich Braun) writes:
[stuff deleted]

>Having just gone on spree throughout the Internet collecting lots of useful
>public-domain software for SysV, I'm now considering taking the plunge and
>installing SysV at home.  This means replacing all my DOS software with Unix
>lookalikes, and I've accomplished that except for the database stuff.
>
>All I need is relatively simple data entry, sorting, searching, and printing
>capabilities; I don't need a $500 FoxBase or Paradox package.
>
>Any recommendations on low-cost or no-cost database software for SysV?
>
>P.S.  Another item I'm curious about:  spreadsheet software.

I will try to answer all your questions and similar questions undoubtably
would be raised by other people with similar needs.

Data base, go to uunet.uu.net either comp.sources.unix/volume20 for reldb
           a set of rational data base tools
           OR                        comp.sources.misc/volume16 for mbase
           for an Informix like data base engine (<- key, an engine!)

Spreadsheet, sc6.9 (6.8 available from uunet.uu.net/comp.sources.unix/\
volume23.

Finally, I urge everyone who is looking for PD software do youself a favor
by getting a copy of index23.2 from comp.sources.unix/volume23 or index
from comp.sources.misc.  They both are annotated and tell you what are
available in the two archives for the two great news group postings.
If you can't find anything there for your SysVr3 home system or whatsoever,
THEN ask the net!

I am hoping my answer to be included in FAQ, who is maintaining it these
days?  I haven't seen it for looooooong time!

Regards,

Chin Fang
Mechanical Engineering Department
Stanford University