X window options for 2.2

Tan Bronson tan at bronson.uucp
Fri Feb 22 04:16:56 AEST 1991

	I'm running a paradise VGA display at 800x600 and would like to
    upgrade to something which is faster and has a larger display area.
    I'm used to a Sun 3/50, so I'd prefer a larger number of B&W or gray
    pixels over color, but 1024x768 with colors would be fine also.

	I'm aware of the following options and would like to get feedback
    from people who are currently using them or evulating them.
    	- the PD X11r4 server
	    - This is supposed to be faster than interactives server,
	    but it does not offload any of the server to a display
	    processor.

	- the AGE server with a 340x0 board
	    - The server runs on the 340x0 board
	    - the server costs $595 + needs 2-3M of 340x0 ram
	    - the server runs on lots of hardware:
		- hercules: VGA, but uses interrupt #3
		- number9 - flexible + uses AT interrupts, VGA extra
		- Artist graphics - like #9, VGA extra, but expensive

	- the GSS 34010 + their own server
	    - needs VGA
	    - server uses DGIS, and does not run totally on the board
	    - who besides GSS uses DGIS

	- an 8514 board
	    - I don't know much about these boards
	    - there are many on the market, what are the differences
	    - can any run non-interlaced?

	- Mobious Computer
	    - thse people sell complete systems. They use a board based
	    on the Western Digital chipset, and it seems to be the fastest
	    X engine out there.
	    - the bad news is they will not sell the board separately.

	If anyone has experience with the coprocessor options, or
    the 8514 could you please help me decide what will make X
    reasonably fast on a 386/486 without chewing up to much of
    the x86 processor.
--
Tan Bronson		tan at Microvation.COM (or tan at bronson.UUCP)
Microvation Consultants (203)-421-5061