SCO UNIX, SCO XENIX, or Interactive 386?

Brian Kim brian at TALOS.UUCP
Wed Feb 20 10:34:37 AEST 1991

I have few questions I hope someone can answer.  Thanx in advance!

I've got 386-33 Cache (64K) system with 8M 70NS DRAM.  I have
150M ESDI drive with 32K cache on the HD controller.  I have
one 3.5" 1.44M and 5.25" 1.2M floppy drives.

I have been mostly a MS DOS user at home.  I'd like to switch
either to a SCO UNIX, SCO XENIX, or an Interactive 386.

1.  Can anyone tell me which is a better buy.  I've been working
    in the SVR3, SVR4, ULTRIX, and VMS environment for a while
    but I'm not all together familiar with the PC version UNICES.
    Any technical and insightful information will be greatly
    appreciated.  Yes, I do plan on programming on them.

2.  This is a minor consideration.  I'd like to know if any PC
    UNICES allow dual boot from the hard disk.  A friend of mine
    told me that in SCO XENIX or maybe it was TANDON PC that
    allowed him to enter which partitions or floppy to boot off
    of.  I don't want to get rid of DOS completely as I have
    invested money and time.  I'd like to set up DOS as the first
    HD partition and UNIX as the rest.  On UNIX's "boot: " prompt,
    I'd like to be able to specify something like "/dos".  I've
    seen people who boot from a DOS floppy.  YUK!  I don't want
    to go backwards in technology.  Yes, I have used VP/ix.  Yes,
    that's besided the point.  I'd still like to have the dual
    boot capability off the hard disk.

Send me email or post to "comp.unix.sysv386" group on the net.
--
Brian Kim at National Political Resources Inc, Alexandria, VA USA
Ma Bell (703)683-9090      (UUCP:  ...{uupsi,vrdxhq}!pbs!npri6!brian