using System V 'cu'

a.v.reed avr at mtgzz.att.com
Tue Nov 29 05:28:54 AEST 1988

In article <6808 at venera.isi.edu>, cracraft at venera.isi.edu (Stuart Cracraft) writes:
< How do you slow down cu's file transfer capability (e.g. the tilde-put
< command) ??
<
< When the transmitting machine is fast, such as a PC running Unix
< System V, and the connection is slow (a 1200 baud modem) to another
< Unix system, a few seconds after issuing the tilde-put command, the
< input buffer of the target system overflows and one continuous bell is
< heard. The file isn't successfully transferred.
<
< Any ideas on how to solve this one?
<
< 	Stuart

Use a protocol-based file transfer program - that is why I put the
tilda-plus escape in cu in the first place. For example, start up umodem
on the remote, then do

	~+ umodem -options < /dev/culine

or the equivalent with the protocol of your choice.  This way you can
also transfer binary files. (No, I don't know why ~+ is still
undocumented, even though it has been in cu for 6 years already. Or why
it is not in SVID. So it is possible that your machine's cu doesn't have
it. But probably it does.... )

				Adam Reed (avr at mtgzz.ATT.COM)