Line disciplines (was: "UNIX Programming on the 80286/80386")

Brandon S. Allbery allbery at ncoast.UUCP
Fri Nov 4 07:50:26 AEST 1988

As quoted from <391 at ftp.COM> by bill at ftp.COM (Bill Lampman):
+---------------
| While I'm on the subject, why is there is SLIP code for BSD 4.3, 4.2 and
| SUN OS but none for SysV ? Is it that AT&T wants everyone to use UUCP so that
| their phone bills will pay for future development projects ?
+---------------

In these post-divestiture days such a scheme is impossible.

The reason there's no SLIP code for System V is that System V doesn't
support IP (yet).  SLIP is layered onto IP the way TCP is layered onto IP;
they are both device-level interfaces to the IP protocol code.  As for the
STREAMS-based networking, perhaps the delay is for AT&T STREAMS-based ttys
so SLIP modules can be pushed instead of using line disciplines... but
that's probably not of interest to you unless your Xenix is really UNIX
V.3.2.  (Earlier Xenixes don't have IP.)

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery, comp.sources.misc moderator and one admin of ncoast PA UN*X
uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery  <PREFERRED!>	    ncoast!allbery at hal.cwru.edu
allberyb at skybridge.sdi.cwru.edu	      <ALSO>		   allbery at uunet.uu.net
comp.sources.misc is moving off ncoast -- please do NOT send submissions direct
      Send comp.sources.misc submissions to comp-sources-misc@<backbone>.