Raw Socket, EtherTalk datagram communication

Richard A. Leclerc leclerc at savax.UUCP
Fri Nov 4 07:15:39 AEST 1988

The problem  I'm trying to solve involves a Mac II running A/UX
with an EtherTalk interface card to an Ethernet LAN.  The LAN
currently has datagrams being put on it by a microVax.  The datagrams
are Ethernet datagrams (NOT Decnet, and NOT TCP/IP).  I want to read
the datagrams with the MAC II.  Do I use raw sockets which are
somehow linked to the EtherTalk board?  How does the Internet address
relate to the 48-bit Ethernet address?  How do I tell the EtherTalk
board which addresses it is supposed to listen to?  I want to handle
multicast datagrams and I think I can do this using AARP (AppleTalk
Address Resolution Protocol).  I have the Macintosh EtherTalk and
Alternate AppleTalk Reference Manual which describes this somewhat,
but doesn't go into much detail.
     If anyone has any solutions, please answer by mail and I will
summarize all responses to the network.