Worm/Passwords

Joseph S. D. Yao jsdy at hadron.UUCP
Wed Nov 23 02:00:38 AEST 1988

In article <17526 at adm.BRL.MIL> mcvax!spider.co.uk!nick at uunet.uu.net (Nick Felisiak) writes:
>Come on now, most of us are on the same side, aren't we?

Emphatically yes.

On the other hand ... what side was that now?

Truth, fairness, justice, equality, niceness, goodness, integrity,
proper treatment of each other as sentient beings, etc.  OK?

Fine.  And a five shilling prize to the first one to properly define
all of the words in the last sentence ... AND get every other being on
the net to agree to his or her (or its) definitions.

The two problems are: (a) since all of us are fallible human beings
with different perceptions of the world, we need to agree on some
basics (and each pair needs to agree!) before allowing even the degree
of intimacy that shared passwords provides; and (b) even the most
idealistic among us (and I'm sure I just barely don't qualify) would
agree that there are not only folks like RM Jr who make mistaskes out
there (oh dear, did I make one too????), but also "bad guys" who get
their kicks out of capitalising on others' trust, and even destroying
those others' properties after betraying that trust.

(*sigh*)  Until we are all perfected, after the Millenium (but, again,
a mille of what?) ...		[;-)]

	Joe Yao		jsdy at hadron.COM (not yet domainised)
	hadron!jsdy@{uunet.UU.NET,dtix.ARPA,decuac.DEC.COM}
	arinc,att,avatar,blkcat,cos,decuac,dtix,\
	ecogong,empire,gong,grebyn,inco,insight, \!hadron!jsdy
	kcwc,lepton,netex,netxcom,phw5,rlgvax,	 /
	seismo,sms,smsdpg,sundc,uunet		/