using System V 'cu'

John Chambers jc at minya.UUCP
Mon Nov 21 03:33:18 AEST 1988

In article <6808 at venera.isi.edu>, cracraft at venera.isi.edu (Stuart Cracraft) writes:
> How do you slow down cu's file transfer capability (e.g. the tilde-put
> command) ??
>
> When the transmitting machine is fast, such as a PC running Unix
> System V, and the connection is slow (a 1200 baud modem) to another
> Unix system, a few seconds after issuing the tilde-put command, the
> input buffer of the target system overflows and one continuous bell is
> heard. The file isn't successfully transferred.
>
> Any ideas on how to solve this one?

I've been bitten by this one on several systems.  What I've done is
write my own version of cat (typically 10 lines or so) that runs quite
slowly, typically by reading 100-byte chunks, writing them, and then
doing sleep(1).  I make a script called "cu" that has this "cat" in
its search path before /bin, and knows the name of the real cu.  It
seems to work pretty well.

--
John Chambers <{adelie,ima,maynard,mit-eddie}!minya!{jc,root}> (617/484-6393)

[Any errors in the above are due to failures in the logic of the keyboard,
not in the fingers that did the typing.]