Using a Hayes-type modem with System V/386

Tom Albrecht tom at dvnspc1.UUCP
Wed Nov 23 08:18:56 AEST 1988

We are having trouble hooking up a Hayes-compatible modem to a 386-based
system running System V.3.  In order to get Unix to send the dial codes to
the modem, carrier detect must be forced high from the modem (i.e. AT&C0).
With this setting we are unable to actually detect when the modem looses
carrier from the remote system.  'sh' ends up staying around and 'getty' never
gets respawned for the line.

Any suggestions as to how we can talk to the modem and detect remote carrier?

Thanks!
--
Tom Albrecht
Unisys			UUCP: {sdcrdcf|psuvax1}!burdvax!dvnspc1!tom