Bigger process IDs and "dev_t"s

David Collier-Brown daveb at geaclib.UUCP
Wed Nov 9 11:23:28 AEST 1988

> In article <385 at auspex.UUCP> guy at auspex.UUCP (Guy Harris) writes:
| You may end up having to Huffman-code them on some systems; SunOS 4.0
| currently has about 56 major devices in use ...

>From article <1988Nov7.190335.17023 at utzoo.uucp>, by henry at utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer):
| How many machines do you know that
| actually have all 56 types of devices on them?  None, I bet.  Using
| the same major number for device XYZ across all machines is basically
| an administrative convenience, not a logical necessity.

  Actually allowing one's supplier to preassign major numbers can
lead to some very non-nice situations:  I recently had a scanner
fail because it was installed as device number 43 (on SunOS 3.5),
instead of the usual 40 (as was used under 3.0..3.4).
  This tends to imply that some [expletive deleted] failed to use
the device name, and instead used a hard-coded magic number.  All it
takes is two errors of that type and we're back with OS/360 and "you
must use x'99.44/100' or it won't come clean.  No two devices may
use this number".

 --dave (why should I hand-craft a cdevsw, ANYWAY?) c-b

The number
--
 David Collier-Brown.  | yunexus!lethe!dave
 Interleaf Canada Inc. |