Minor Sun questions

Guy Harris guy at auspex.UUCP
Thu Nov 10 10:01:15 AEST 1988

>First the weird one.  I'm porting an application from a Vax (4.3bsd) to
>a Sun (4.2bsd v3.5).  ...  On the Vax this works fine.  On the Sun the
>terminal's responce is echo'd back to the terminal

If the terminal is not connected directly to the Sun, I'd suspect
whatever is in between the terminal and the Sun; otherwise, the only
likely cause would be some hardware weirdness, because the tty driver in
SunOS 3.5 is, with minor changes unrelated to echoing, the tty driver in
4.3BSD.

>Now the make question.  Sun's make has a great little 'include' feature.

The SunOS "make"s are derived from the S5R2 one (although the SunPro
"make" that's optional with later 3.x versions and standard with 4.0 is,
as stated in the comments in the SCCS lines, only "remotely from" the S5
one...); that's where the "include" feature, as well as the "import
'make' variables from the environment" feature, come.

>Well, we changed directory structures and I had to edit the 'include' line
>in 12 different Makefiles.  I've been trying to set an environment
>variable to our include file but when I invoke make I get
>
>Make: Cannot read or access $SYS300MAKE.  Stop.
>
>I've tried all kinds of things (include $$SYS300MAKE, include $SYS300MAKE,
>include ($SYS300MAKE) among others) to no avail.  Anyone got any ideas?

Try

	include $(SYS300MAKE)

The correct syntax for references to multi-character "make" variables is
not "$FOO", nor "$$FOO", nor "($FOO)", but "$(FOO)" (or alternatively,
at least in most cases, "${FOO}").

Now, if you're using the SunPro "make", the SunOS 3.5 version may not have
expanded "make" variables in "include" lines; the SunOS 4.0 version
definitely expands them (I just tried it).  The S5R3 "make" also expands
them, although the S5R2 version might not have done it and thus the
non-SunPro SunOS "make" may not expand them either.  (This is unlikely,
though.)