Minor Sun questions

Physically Pffft jlh at loral.UUCP
Tue Nov 8 12:18:25 AEST 1988

Now that we've all de-wormed ourselves can we get back to work?  I've got
2 questions on Sun Unix, the first a real weirdy and the second a simple
make question.

First the weird one.  I'm porting an application from a Vax (4.3bsd) to
a Sun (4.2bsd v3.5).  Part of it is a menu manager that uses vt100
escape sequences to control the screen io.  We can send commands to the
terminal just fine.  Usually.  There's an escape sequence to request
the current x,y coordinates, the terminal responds with an escape
sequence of it's own back to the program.  On the Vax this works fine.
On the Sun the terminal's responce is echo'd back to the terminal (we
run CBREAK mode, no echo).  Using dbx it looked like my program never
got the response.  I put in some debugging code, it still looked like
my program never saw the response.  I hooked up an RS232 analyzer to my
terminal, the escape sequence was going out and then got echo'd right
back.  So who the hay is echoing the responce back to my terminal?  I
can type in the escape sequence from the keyboard at the appropriate
time and the characters go to the program with no echo.  So why doesn't
the terminal's response go to my program??  I can login to a Sun, rlog
to a Vax, and run the Vax version just fine.  But if I ever try to run
the Sun version I get this problem.  I rlogged into about 4 different
machines sequentialy so the terminal response went through everyone and
their mother from the terminal to the program running on the Vax, it
worked fine.  Any ideas?  I should mention we have file servers, nfs
mounts, and lots of other stuff I don't understand in the system.
I've also discovered that any command that causes the terminal to output
a response does the same thing.

Now the make question.  Sun's make has a great little 'include' feature.
Well, we changed directory structures and I had to edit the 'include' line
in 12 different Makefiles.  I've been trying to set an environment
variable to our include file but when I invoke make I get

Make: Cannot read or access $SYS300MAKE.  Stop.

I've tried all kinds of things (include $$SYS300MAKE, include $SYS300MAKE,
include ($SYS300MAKE) among others) to no avail.  Anyone got any ideas?

							Jim

Jim Harkins		jlh at loral.cts.com
Loral Instrumentation, San Diego