UNIX coresident with VMS

Random rcb at rti-sel.UUCP
Fri Oct 11 23:06:53 AEST 1985

In article <10605 at ucbvax.ARPA> fair at ucbarpa.berkeley.edu (Erik E. Fair) writes:
>In article <5732 at tekecs.UUCP> glenm at tekecs.UUCP (Glen McCluskey) writes:
>>
>>Is it possible to have UNIX and VMS coresident on
>>the same physical disks?  I don't mean running at
>>the same time, just the ability to switch back and
>>forth without changing disk packs.
>
>It should be possible to do this, provided that you can make sure that
>UNIX does not tamper with the VMS partitions of the disk, and that VMS
>does not tamper with the UNIX partitions of the disk. I know this is
>doable with UNIX. A VMS wizard will have to answer as to whether VMS
>can do this.

If UNIX can be made to boot from anywhere on the disk, this can be done.
If the UNIX can be modified to not require any special physical blocks
on the disk, all you need to do is create the disk as a VMS disk,
create a hugh file (half the disk) and place the unix in this file.
When vms is running, it will be just a file and will be left alone.
When unix is running, it will be thought of as the entire disk and the
other parts will be left alone. Be sure that this file created on VMS is
contiguous! That takes care of the VMS side. Back in your court UNIX wizards.
Can UNIX be modified as I described.

--
					Random
					Research Triangle Institute