uVAX Ultrix questions

sbw at bocklin.UUCP sbw at bocklin.UUCP
Wed Oct 9 05:14:23 AEST 1985

We are purchasing some uVAX II's, but have some questions about
Ultrix.  Any help is appreciated.  Please reply via mail.

  (1) I've been told that Ultrix is pretty faithful to 4.2bsd.
      How faithful?  In particular is there anything left out
      of the distribution.  More specifically, I've been told
      by a DEC engineer that the only supported languages are
      C and assembler.  True?

  (2) Is there support for the KDA50 controller?  How about
      the TSU05 controller?

  (3) How good is the net support?  For example can one do
      rlogins to other uVAXen?  How about to an 11/44 running
      2.9 (assuming the 2.9 networking works..)?

  (4) If C and Assembler are the only supplied languages, how
      hard is it to port the language on the 4.2 distribution
      (e.g. f77, Pascal, Franz LISP, etc.)?  Can one get a
      4.x license based on an Ultrix-32 license?  Or must one
      get a separate AT&T license first?

  (5) Does anyone have a working port of 4.2 or 4.3 to the
      uVAX?  Any problems?  Can we get it?