Binary Compatibility 80286

Timothy D Margeson timothym at tekigm.UUCP
Sat Oct 26 07:15:06 AEST 1985

Hi,

FLAME ON

Now about this Unix source compatibility issue.  Which Unix version, which
hardware, and which code are you talking about?

I have not seen anything that demonstrates any form of compatibility between
any of the Unix' available. You have so many various forms and versions of
the ne'rdowell 'operating system' (I use the term loosely) that source written
for one can not be expected to run on any other system.

A major cause problem of this phenomenon is to make useful software you must
take advantage of certain hardware particulars. Or you use a certain program
compiler, again making use of machine specific (or worse yet, os version
specific) routines, which again limits portability.

Unix is too big and widespread to ever become a reasonable, compatible,
portable enviroment for users of personal computers.

The phalacy that Unix and C make things portable makes me sick whenever I
hear or read someone tauting.

The software writer is what makes programs portable, nothing else can.

Flame off.

--
Tim Margeson (206)253-5240
tektronix!tekigm!timothym                   @@   'Who said that?'