4.2 and sysline

P. D. Guthrie pdg at ihdev.UUCP
Tue Oct 29 01:28:12 AEST 1985

In article <1247 at wanginst.UUCP> ss at wanginst.UUCP (Sid Shapiro) writes:
>Hi there people,
>I would like to use the sysline facility - sounds neat.
>I am running ultrix 1.1,  The manual says that it works for terminals like
>the vt100.  Here I am sitting at a vt100.  I say sysline.  I get a "No status
>line capability for vt100"  So, does sysline lie, or does the manual lie, or
>have I missed something simple?

The manual is both correct, and incorrect.  The vt100 has no status line
capability, and normally will not work.  However, it is possible to
write a new termcap for a vt100 that says it has 23 lines, and that
there is a status line on line 24, and when ever you login make it so
that termcap entry is used, and echo the characters to have a scrolling
region from lines 1-23.  This works fine.
				Paul Guthrie
p.s. if anyone needs this I'm sure I can dig it up off tape.