4.2 and sysline

Bob Dalgleish bobd at zaphod.UUCP
Sat Oct 26 08:27:53 AEST 1985

In article <2349 at brl-tgr.ARPA> you write:
>> I am running ultrix 1.1,  The manual says that it works for terminals like
>> the vt100.  Here I am sitting at a vt100.  I say sysline.  I get a "No status
>> line capability for vt100"  So, does sysline lie, or does the manual lie, or
>> have I missed something simple?
>
>A VT100 does not really have a status line.  However, it can be
>faked; the termcap entries that do this are usually "vt100-s"
>and "vt100-s-bot".  Try setting $TERM to one of those.

I have a non-standard terminal (Cybernex XL-87) with a status line
capability.  I guessed at how to set it up, and played with it until it
worked.  You need 4 entries in your termcap: 'hs' (bool) means "has
status"; 'ts' (string) means "to status line"; 'fs' (string) means "from
status line"; 'es' (bool) means that escape codes can be used in the
status line; 'ds' (string) means "delete (clear) status line".  On the
vt200 terminals, the status line is really a one line status window that
has to be placed on line 25.

By the way, you may or may not want to turn on the "escape status" flag,
since sysline does not interpret the padding characters for certain
functions.
--
[Forgive me, Father, for I have signed ...]

Bob Dalgleish		...!alberta!sask!zaphod!bobd
			      ihnp4!
(My company has disclaimed any knowledge of me and whatever I might say)