"apply" utility source posted

Doug Gwyn <gwyn> gwyn at brl-tgr.ARPA
Tue Oct 22 11:01:47 AEST 1985

> Apply is distributed with BSD4.2 aw well. The author is, according to the
> manual page, Rob Pike.

Yup, he was probably the author of the 4.2BSD version
(but not of mine, except for thinking up the concept).
For some reason, author attributions were removed from
the 8th Ed. manual.  Please add "Rob Pike (original
version)" to "AUTHORS" on the manual page I posted.
I didn't like the old manual description, anyway; it
took me several readings to decipher the %n stuff.
I deliberately haven't looked at the 4.2BSD source.
Now everyone can have "apply", whether they are a
Berkeley licensee or not.  GNU, are you listening?
(There really are advantages to not having sources, ha.)
If I find other useful things not in K&P, I may code
them up and post them, too.  If this bothers anyone,
please discuss it privately with me ASAP.  gwyn at brl.ARPA