students editing output (curve grading)

math.c unixcorn at dcc1.UUCP
Thu Oct 24 00:54:33 AEST 1985

In article <585 at aicchi.UUCP> ignatz at aicchi.UUCP (Ihnat) writes:
>In article <2222 at brl-tgr.ARPA> gwyn at brl-tgr.ARPA (Doug Gwyn <gwyn>) writes:
>>On student cheating:

>>only hurt themselves (unless the college stupidly grades on a
>>relative rather than an absolute basis).  Surely no sensible
>	.
>	.
>Uhh..hate to bring this up...but you ever hear of the phrase "curve"??
>Yes, they really do grade on a relative basis.
>     ^^^^
>Personally, I don't believe in curves; if you only know 80% of the material,
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
     (i agree)

>then you *don't* deserve an A, even if you're the highest grade in the
>class.  If the whole class blows an exam, then either everyone is a dunce,
>or--more likely--the instructor screwed up.  But that's not the way it
>works.
^^^^^^
 depends where you are

 Certainly, some instructors curve grades at some schools. (Thank Gauss
my physics instructor did!) Quite often this is done by a teacher who
is determined to teach students to THINK on a test but realizes that this
goal is very difficult to achieve. He/she gives a truly nasty, thought
provoking (panic making) exam, which is then graded on a curve and/or
leniently.

 AS a student, I loved partial credit and the curve. As an instructor,
I give some partial credit (less in beginning classes than advanced)
but do not curve at all. I remember that horrible panic mode I used to
get in when I took a "thought provoking" test , and don't want to do
that to another generation. THAT IS NOT TO SAY I BELIEVE IN REGURITATION
TESTS. Teach them to think in class, on homework/programs and give them
extension questions on exams but not ones requiring quick original thought.

(I must not be alone here, a quick check showed very few of my dept members
curve grades as a rule)

                            Help stamp out ignorance!

                            (my feet are getting awfully tired from stamping)

--

             unixcorn  (alias m. gould)

                   "there's a unicorn in the garden and he's eating a lily"
                    gatech!dcc1!unixcorn