More on Writer's Workbench Responses to survey

Ron Thompson rt at cpsc53.UUCP
Mon Oct 7 11:31:03 AEST 1985

> 1. Is anyone using Writer's Workbench from AT&T on a regular basis?
> 2. I would like to know how useful this software is and what types of
> applications people are finding for it.
> 3. I am also interested in knowing what types of customized
> standards people have established for WWB and whether there has been any
> testing of modifying the lex files for analysis of other languages.
> 4. Has there been any porting to micros for general layperson testing?
> 5. Does anyone who does not now have WWB wish they could?
> 6. And as a corollary, is there anyone distributing binary as opposed to
> source licenses for WWB?

Sorry I didn't see the original request for this, I would like to
add some comments. I have used WWB for a couple of years on many
of my documents, especially the external ones. WWB has identified
misspelled words I always thought I had spelled correctly. I nearly
always follow the suggestions for revision. Each suggestion has to
be considered independently and with the target of the document in
mind. My spelling has improved but I still make the mistakes of using
worn out phrases, etc.. I don't agree with some of the punctuation
revisions suggested by WWB, though they are probably technically
correct. (In particular whether the '.' goes outside the '"' or inside).

I have reveiwed the pre-release of the Collegiate Edition. It seems
to be a well thought out package, ideal for the creative writer's lab.
I stripped the classroom parts off and moved it to a 3B5 for testing
of the document analysis parts. Though still somewhat useful, the
analysis is more tuned to essay style, as it should be, than technical.
This package should really be a great help in spurring student interest
in writing as well as a teacher's aid.

I have recently ordered the standard WWB for my 3B5. I consider it a
worthwhile package for programmers and technical writers alike.
|  Ron Thompson		AT&T Information Systems	Customer Programming  |
|  ..akgua!cpsc53!rt 	Atlanta, Georgia		Services Center	      |
|                  Opinions expressed are mine alone.			      |