[COFF] Today I learned something new about File Transfer Protocol.

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Sun Jul 8 15:17:43 AEST 2018

Today I learned that File Transfer Protocol supports transferring data
between two remote systems without passing the data through a
controlling host.

The end of ยง 2.3, The FTP Model, of RFC 959, File Transfer Protocol,
states the following:

"""
In another situation a user might wish to transfer files between two
hosts, neither of which is a local host. The user sets up control
connections to the two servers and then arranges for a data connection
between them.  In this manner, control information is passed to the
user-PI but data is transferred between the server data transfer
processes.  Following is a model of this server-server interaction.

                   Control    ------------    Control
                   ---------->| User-FTP |<-----------
                   |          | User-PI  |           |
                   |          |   "C"    |           |
                   V          ------------           V
           --------------                        --------------
           | Server-FTP |   Data Connection      | Server-FTP |
"""

I also learned that FTP uses (a subset of) the Telnet protocol for it's
control connection.  Yet another reason to dislike it.  (I strongly
prefer 8-bit clean connections and dislike things that need special
handling.)

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die