[COFF] Today I learned something new about File Transfer Protocol.

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Mon Jul 9 06:28:33 AEST 2018

On Sat, 7 Jul 2018 23:17:43 -0600 Grant Taylor via COFF
<coff at minnie.tuhs.org> wrote:
> Today I learned that File Transfer Protocol supports transferring
> data between two remote systems without passing the data through a
> controlling host.

Not only does it permit that, but this mechanism was fascinatingly
abused a few times in the early 1990s as a means to enable security
policy violations. :)

> I also learned that FTP uses (a subset of) the Telnet protocol for
> it's control connection.  Yet another reason to dislike it.  (I
> strongly prefer 8-bit clean connections and dislike things that
> need special handling.)

In the old old days, FTP had all sorts of other functions, including
mail transfer. (SMTP obsoleted that by 1980 or so.)

Perry
Perry E. Metzger		perry at piermont.com