[COFF] Happy birthday, John Backus!

Nemo Nusquam cym224 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 4 05:20:29 AEST 2019

On 12/03/19 02:55, Dave Horsfall wrote:
> As every computer programmer should know, John Backus was emitted in
> 1924; he gave us the BNF syntax, but the sod also gave us that FORTRAN
> obscenity...

A few decades ago, I applied for a job in a place that used VAX FORTRAN
and I knew only a bit FORTRAN II.  Knowing several imperative languages,
I told them that I knew it, bought the book "FORTRAN Tools for VAX/VMS
and MS-DOS", and read it in a week, blown away about how far VAX FORTRAN
was from FORTRAN II.  It was actually quite reasonable.

N.