[COFF] Happy birthday, John Backus!

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Fri Dec 6 06:56:07 AEST 2019

Tom - this all makes perfect sense.  Very cool.  You are undoubtedly the
source!!!   I'm sure I must have gotten it from you, but I admit that I
>>had<< thought I had seen it elsewhere, earlier before Dave had retired
(which was a few years back before Intel moved the team from NH to MA).
That's why I asked had you posted to somewhere else earlier maybe?

FWIW: Google translates the intro para to be:  which is similar to your
translation.  You rewrote ND-10... to Norsk Data which makes complete sense
by making the code more understandable out of the context of the document.

The FORTRAN program below can be compiled and executed on an ND-10/100 FTN
compiler. It consists only of FORTRAN reserved words and 'contains only one
numeric constant (it is in a text string). The program produces a known
mathematical "figure".

The program is an example that even FORTRAN is a block structured language.

I note the original as the PROGRAM card is by itself, but not indented.
Which is somewhat consistent with the Dave's observation of F4 requiring
PROGRAM, END and STOP to be on seperate card.

BTW:  given today's exchange, I sent the compiler team a note to state, we
got it from you and I've asked them to add a pointer to this document your
provided also.

Thanks again,
Clem