[COFF] Happy birthday, John Backus!

Tom Ivar Helbekkmo tih at hamartun.priv.no
Fri Dec 6 05:50:50 AEST 2019

Clem Cole <clemc at ccc.com> writes:

> I suspect when this was sent out to wherever I picked it up a few
> years ago, the code had been changed to be 'pure F4' ;-)

The version I have is the one that was floating around the SINTRAN
environment at the Norwegian Institute of Technology when I was there
back in the eighties.  I don't know where it originally came from, but
it was printed in the in-house information publication RUN-NYTT in 1982.

It's on page 9 of this issue:

https://folk.ntnu.no/klv/IT-historie-ntnu/Run-nytt-1977-93/run-nytt-1-1982.pdf

The comment at the top of the version you posted is actually my own
translation of the text introducing the printed program text.

-tih
--
Most people who graduate with CS degrees don't understand the significance
of Lisp.  Lisp is the most important idea in computer science.  --Alan Kay