[COFF] What languges would you like to learn?

Tom Ivar Helbekkmo tih at hamartun.priv.no
Thu Dec 26 21:49:20 AEST 2019

Wesley Parish <wobblygong at gmail.com> wrote:

> It took immersion into Java before I finally got the hang of object
> orientation, and Java's still a lot smaller than C++.

This quote may be relevant to that:

"I made up the term 'object-oriented', and I can tell you I didn't
have C++ in mind!"  --Alan Kay to Bjarne Stroustrup at OOPSLA 1997.

...and here's GLS, answering critical comments about Java:

"We were not out to win over the Lisp programmers; we were after the
C++ programmers.  We managed to drag a lot of them about halfway to
Lisp.  Aren't you happy?"    --Guy L. Steele on the creation of Java

Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com> wrote:

> C++ seems to encourage complexity and I hate complexity.

This reminds me of something Erik Naggum said (about another language,
and in harsher words (as was his wont), but the underlying point about
the language affecting how problems are solved is the same):

"It's not that perl programmers are idiots, it's that the language rewards
idiotic behavior in a way that no other language or tool has ever done."

-tih
--
Most people who graduate with CS degrees don't understand the significance
of Lisp.  Lisp is the most important idea in computer science.  --Alan Kay