[COFF] Disk Technology was [Simh] Which PDP-11 to choose

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Thu Jul 4 04:38:44 AEST 2019

John - not much there:

Introduction to redundant arrays of inexpensive disks (RAID)
>From Page 112, Bottom of 1st column continued to the top of second the text
is:

While the magnetic disk industry has made little progress in improving
speed of disks, it has significantly reduced the size of disks. The
personal computer industry has created a market for 5.25 and 3.5 inch
drives, reducing the cost per disk system as well as the traditional
lowering of cost per megabyte. Table I below compares the top-of-the-line
IBM 3380 model AK4 mainframe disk, Fujitsu M2361A "Super Eagle"
minicomputer disk, Impress/CDC Wren-IV workstation disk, and the
Conner Peripherals
CP 3100 personal computer disk.

>From Page 116, Second column the text is;

One problem that several magnetic disk manufacturers have mentioned is what
we would call the "Pinto Effect;" a mistake is made in manufacturing
process that is so disastrous that the disk manufacturer will recall all
affected disks and replace them. The common theme is that the mistake is
uncovered after the disks have been in the field for several months and the
disks all fail within a short time of one another. One example was a
manufacturer who glued together the two halves of an head-disk assembly,
with this glue dissolving after the disks had been in the field for 18
months. Another example was that a new bateriacide used in an air filter
interacted with the disk surface so that many failures occurred six months
later. A common cause of the Pinto Effect is that a supplier will change
some component as a cost cutting measure without notifying the disk
manufacturer, and disastrous consequences occur due to unforeseen
interactions.

Although we desperately need real data on disk failures, we are performing
studies of using models to estimate the impact of the Pinto Effect on RAID
reliability.