[COFF] OT BitKeeper: Creating a remote SSH repo

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Wed Apr 15 14:24:00 AEST 2020

On Tue, 14 Apr 2020, Larry McVoy wrote:

> You and I would get along great.  I *hate* tcl, love tk.  I hate tcl so
> much that I paid some guys to create a C-like language that compiles
> down to tcl byte codes.  It is quite pleasant IMHO, has some perl stuff
> too.

Woo-hoo!  I hate TCL but love Perl/Tk and am using it for a simple Gooey
front-end for some scripts that I have.  I mean, about a page to write a
simple "Hello, world" in X11?  That BTW is my benchmark for any language;
not only does it demonstrate its complexity but also its fundamental
structure, and I'm very much a learn-by-example person (it's something
weird in my brain that I can pick up a new language just by seeing a few
examples of it).

Number of programming languages I've used over 50 years:

     aneurin% wc -l ~/languages
 	  48 /home/dave/languages

And that's counting all assembly languages as one, etc; 360, PDP-8,
PDP-11, Z-80, VAX, 2650, Intel...  Currently looking at ARM for something
or other.  I collect programming languages like some people collect
stamps.

I was also pretty good at French in school :-)

-- Dave