[COFF] 52-pin D-Sub?

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Sat Feb 29 08:36:20 AEST 2020

below...

On Fri, Feb 28, 2020 at 5:26 PM William Pechter <pechter at gmail.com> wrote:

> Could it be because they all started with current loop tty interfaces?
> Most of the old DEC guys started with teletypes.

Very possible...

> Having struggled with a breakout box and different mini and micro vendors
> implementations of serial ports... Ugh.  And in three-wire the use of
> Xon-Xoff varied big time.   No standard was the standard.  IIRC the IBM
> Series/1 had a different 9pin layout than the PC/AR.  Why?

RS-232A/B/C was DB-25 P for the DTE (terminating equiment - a.k.a.
terminal) and S for DCE (communications equipment - a.k.a. modem).  It was
standardized.  At one time, I (sadly) could quote the paragraph number....

Then in 1978 #$%^& Lear Seglier put a DB-25S on a DTE (terminal).   They
were the cheap terminal vendor and all hell broke loose.

The PC/AT used 9 pin because the back of the unit was small and -- well
there could because IBM said so ....  But at least the IBM engineers kept
to Plug and Sockets from the standard.  I did not know the Series/1 used 9
pin.   Learn something new.

>   At least DEC was reasonably consistent until they moved too the Vax
> modified RJ design.

Indeed - that was a huge issue - the modified RJ block -- sigh...