[COFF] Systemd Creator Lands At Microsoft

Michael Cardell Widerkrantz mc at hack.org
Tue Jul 12 07:04:51 AEST 2022

Tomasz Rola <rtomek at ceti.pl>, 2022-07-09 02:29 (+0200):

> On Fri, Jul 08, 2022 at 12:26:23PM +0200, Michael Cardell Widerkrantz wrote:
>> Tomasz Rola <rtomek at ceti.pl>, 2022-07-08 09:40 (+0200):
>>
>> > Well, what the title says. Some folks here wandered what the future
>> > may be. I suppose destroying Linux, or making it irrelevant.
>>
>> Microsoft of today is really not the Microsoft of the 1990s. There are a
>> lot of people at MSFT working on Linux in different forms.
>
> If you know this first hand, then great.

I do. I have friends at Microsoft.

> I admit, after 1995 I have only used anything MS about few times a
> year or so.

Ha! I haven't actually used anything from Microsoft for a long time.
Last time I was forced to was in 2004, I think. I even had to use Word!
When I found VBacs which turned MS Word into a resemblance of Emacs my
productivity soured.

https://www.rath.ca/Misc/VBacs/

SWMBO has a Windows laptop, though, so I still see it sometimes.

>> I suppose more distributions would look at the alternatives like OpenRC
>> or S6.
>
> Maybe. I am still trying to evaluate various alternatives to Debian
> and I am not so sure.

Alpine is very popular. It's using OpenRC and eyeing S6, I've heard.

https://www.alpinelinux.org/

--
MC, https://hack.org/mc/