PDP Unix - how to load?

Danny R. Brown sysyphus at crl.com
Fri Aug 23 13:38:27 AEST 1996

On Mon, 12 Aug 1996, Warren Toomey wrote:

> Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 13:57:30 +1000 (EST)
> From: Warren Toomey <wkt at csadfa.cs.adfa.oz.au>
> To: PDP Unix Preservation <oldunix at minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au>
> Subject: PDP Unix - how to load?
>
> I'm forwarding this on from Keith Huff, who wants to know how to load the
> PDP UNIX images from henry onto a machine. As I've never used a PDP OS
> apart from Unix, can someone pass on trick and techniques to get tape or
> disk images from henry.cs.adfa.oz.au onto a PDP-11?
>
> Thanks,
> 	Warren
> ----- Forwarded message from kshuff at fast.net -----
>   From: kshuff at fast.net
>   Subject: PDP Unix
> Hi Warren,
>
>   I have visited your FTP site and have a question. The only piece of
> equipment I have connected to the net is a PC, so upon downloading a copy of
> Unix, how do I go about getting it over to the PDP, or do I have to have it
> connected to the net. If the latter, could you give me some guidance on how
> this would be accomplished. Thanks again.
>
> -Keith S. Huff
> ----- End of forwarded message from kshuff at fast.net -----

Keith, Warren, et al.....

1.Sorry that I've been away from this SIG after such a hectic beginning
last winter. I got sucked up in the Olympics here in Atlanta and am only
now returning to "normal" life. You boys down under might invest in a
good pair of hip boots- its coming your way ;-)

2.Thanks to all of you for your help in getting me up and running.

3.If Keith has not yet found a way to transfer files I have a set of
PD tape utilities which work quite well. As I recall I installed
TSXTCP (from shop.pdp.kent.edu) and FTP'd the files from my PC to my
11/73, built the tapes with the aforementioned utilities (TK-50, but
I believe most any style will do), booted up and installed everything
in about three days.

I'm sure that I posted a pointer to the ftp site for the tape utils
on this sig, or maybe e-mailed them to someone who requested. I'm
still not home much but drop me a line and I'll dig out the notes,
names, and etc., in the next few days...
cheers!

*      A Personal Message from   *                BASILISK              *
*          Danny R. Brown        *     "Try our other fine flavors!"    *
*       ( sysyphus at crl.com )     *            (404) 392-1691            *
*        Pager:(404)397-0516     *            LYNC host mode            *