Good News re PDP Unix Licensing

Warren Toomey wkt at csadfa.cs.adfa.oz.au
Sun Jun 30 09:14:49 AEST 1996

In atricle by Tom I Helbekkmo:
> On Fri, 28 Jun 1996, Warren Toomey wrote:
>
> Is there really any good reason for them to object to the distribution
> of UNIXes prior to SVR1?  Could there possibly be anything at all in
> V7 and earlier that could in any way be damaging to SCO (or anyone
> else who might buy UNIX from SCO) if it were freely distributed?  If
> I'm right in assuming that it couldn't possibly make a difference to
> their bottom line, perhaps SCO could be convinced to formally release
> these oldest versions of UNIX?

I suggested to Dion that SCO would get kudos from the Unix community if
they did. Haven't heard back from him yet (still Sunday there).

> Does anyone know, by the way, what's happening with the Lions
> commentaries?  They're at the top of my "stuff I want to read" list,
> and have been for quite some time now!

I have a copy of the PostScript version which floated around the 'net
a few years back. I'd be prepared to give it out on the solemn promise
that people buy Lions' commentaries when they are published.

I'll let you all know how I go with SCO.

Cheers,
	Warren