Good News re PDP Unix Licensing

Tom I Helbekkmo tih at Hamartun.Priv.NO
Sat Jun 29 21:48:08 AEST 1996

On Fri, 28 Jun 1996, Warren Toomey wrote:

> I know, but I really don't want to try to work under a `head in the sand'
> approach from SCO. At the very least I'd like official blessing to pass
> on old UNIXes to people who need/want them. I know getting SCO to allow
> them to be freely redistributable is a pipe dream, but perhaps there's
> some middle ground they would be willing to move to.

Is there really any good reason for them to object to the distribution
of UNIXes prior to SVR1?  Could there possibly be anything at all in
V7 and earlier that could in any way be damaging to SCO (or anyone
else who might buy UNIX from SCO) if it were freely distributed?  If
I'm right in assuming that it couldn't possibly make a difference to
their bottom line, perhaps SCO could be convinced to formally release
these oldest versions of UNIX?

Does anyone know, by the way, what's happening with the Lions
commentaries?  They're at the top of my "stuff I want to read" list,
and have been for quite some time now!

-tih
--
Tom Ivar Helbekkmo