UNIX for 11/23 (fwd)

Bob Manners rjm at swift.eng.ox.ac.uk
Thu Mar 21 19:44:25 AEST 1996

Forwarded message:
Subject: Re: UNIX for 11/23
To: sms at wlv.iipo.gtegsc.com (Steven M. Schultz)
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 1996 09:43:47 +0000 (GMT)

What about Digital's MV7 (or whatever it was called). This is
mentioned in the 11/23+ owners' manual as supported. Thus it must run
on the 11/23+ and support RD series disks. It is basically Bell Labs
version 7 I think.

>	Warren's correct.  MSCP support did not enter the 'BSD' picture until
>	late 2.9BSD or early 2.10BSD.  TMSCP support for tapes didn't come
>	about until early 2.11BSD when I "borrowed" the driver from 4.3BSD
>	(who had earlier borrowed it from Ultrix).

OK. I guess 2.x BSD (x>=9) requires separate I+D space? That would
rule out the 11/23+ I think.

>	It should be noted that the MSCP (and to a greater degree TMSCP)
>	is a *pig* - it's the largest driver in the system, rivaling the
>	TTY subsystem sizewise.

Yes. I can believe that. Looks like writing my own driver would be no
fun at all!

>	An 11/23 is already extremely cramped for address space even using
>	simpler/smaller drivers such as the RK, RL, etc.  I seriously doubt
>	the MSCP driver could be smashed in to a 11/23 kernel and leave room
>	for too much else.

The 11/23+ has plenty of address space (22 bit), but mine only has 128Kw ...

Cheers,

Bob.

Robert Manners                                  Osney Laboratory
rjm at swift.eng.ox.ac.uk                          Dept of Engineering Science
                                                University of Oxford
                                                01865 288762
Computer Museum: http://swift.eng.ox.ac.uk/rjm/museum.html
Also:            http://swift.eng.ox.ac.uk

        "The comfort you've demanded is now mandatory" - Jello Biafra