Early DEC support for UNIX?

Warren Toomey wkt at henry.cs.adfa.oz.au
Thu Apr 2 15:36:04 AEST 1998

I was just browsing for web pages related to PDP-11s and UNIX, and I found:

	http://idefix-45.cs.kuleuven.ac.be/museum/pdp/unix-E.html

which has a most interesting paragraph at the bottom:

	Officially Digital Equipment did not support Unix. With the
	maintenance technicians we made the agreement that the hardware was
	OK, when their test programs did not produce error messages.

	At the end of 1983 we found out that within Digital there was a
	very small group which distributed Unix V7 with support and drivers
	for all PDP 11 models and devices. Sources were distributed freely to
	all source licensees of Bell labs. From then on we have used that
	distribution.

Does anybody know what `distribution from within Digital' is being
referred to here, and how I can get my hands on it, for the archive.
Is this an early Ultrix?

I've mailed the maintainer of the web page in question for more information.

	Warren