The Unix Society

Joerg Micheel joerg at krdl.org.sg
Mon Aug 3 12:23:17 AEST 1998

On Mon, Aug 03, 1998 at 09:24:52AM +0930, Greg Lehey wrote:
> On Monday,  3 August 1998 at  9:35:17 +1000, Warren Toomey wrote:
> > In article by Greg Lehey:
> >>
> >> I find the spelling "Unix" looks like the kind of mistake that
> >> people make when they're not aware of these niceties, so I'd prefer
> >> not to use it.
> >>
> >> More generally, though, there's nothing in the name that suggests
> >> anything to do with the history of the system.  For all it says to the
> >> outside world, it's a new competitor to USENIX.
> >
> > Hmm, I don't like the all-caps UNIX, looks ugly. This is probably a taste
> > thing. I wanted to avoid the word `preservation', as people like Steven,
> > Michael and others are still maintaining, using and developing these systems.
> >
> > We need a sub-committee to come up with a new name :-) My next suggestion is
> > /The UNIX Heritage Society/i
>
> Sounds a lot better.  Time for some other comments, when the rest of
> the world wakes up.

Awake! I fully agree with all of Greg's statements. Btw. the original way of
writing UNIX was actually unix. Small caps. Of course, using troff you could
take advantage of scaling fonts and say \s-2UNIX\s+2. I'm not sure about the
feeling of dmr and colleagues with respect to UNIX, but I remember him having
a heavy disrespect for STREAMS as compared to streams. The thing is that with
email when saying STREAMS you actually shout, which non of us intend to.

	Joerg
--
Joerg B. Micheel			Email: <joerg at krdl.org.sg>
SingAREN Technology Center		Phone: +65 7705577

	by minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au (8.8.8/8.8.8) id MAA12295
	for pups-liszt; Mon, 3 Aug 1998 12:43:43 +1000 (EST)