The Unix Society

Brian D Chase bdc at world.std.com
Mon Aug 3 15:00:18 AEST 1998

On Mon, 3 Aug 1998, Warren Toomey wrote:

> Hmm, I don't like the all-caps UNIX, looks ugly. This is probably a taste
> thing. I wanted to avoid the word `preservation', as people like Steven,
> Michael and others are still maintaining, using and developing these systems.
>
> We need a sub-committee to come up with a new name :-) My next suggestion is
> /The UNIX Heritage Society/i

I seem to recall a direct quote of either Thompson or Ritchie saying that
they'd intended to use the name "Unix" instead of "UNIX" but that is what
the OS was trademarked with by the Bell Labs lawyers.  It may have been on
one of their personal web pages that I read it.

-brian.
---

	by minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au (8.8.8/8.8.8) id XAA14184
	for pups-liszt; Mon, 3 Aug 1998 23:11:15 +1000 (EST)