Unix History Diagram

Michael Sokolov msokolov at harrier.Uznet.NET
Tue Dec 15 13:23:10 AEST 1998

   Warren Toomey <wkt at henry.cs.adfa.oz.au> wrote:
> The current status of my update is at:
>
> http://minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au/Unix_History/

   I have looked at it. Note that the data files are not hyperlinked. I
don't think this is intentional, is it?

   Being the TUHS 4BSD Coordinator :-), I feel obligated to do some work on
the 4bsd data file. Quoting:

> 3bsd
>         Name: 3BSD
>         Date: 1980-03
>         Reference: last-mod timestamps in Distributions/ucb/3bsd.tar
>         Successor to 32V
>         Code taken from 2bsd
> #                       virtual memory, page replacement,
> #                       demand paging
>
> 4bsd
>         Name: 4BSD
>         Date: 1980-10
>         Reference: Quarter Century of UNIX by Peter Salus, pg 164
>         Successor to 3bsd

   Are you sure that virtual memory appears first in 3BSD? I have always
thought that it's a 4BSD milestone. Page replacement and demand paging
probably go with it.

> 4.2bsd
>         Name: 4.2BSD
>         Date: 1983-09
>         Reference: Quarter Century of UNIX by Peter Salus, pg 164
>         Successor to 4.1cbsd

   I would add the following comment:

> #                       Landmark filesystem change.
> #                       VAX hardware support extended to 11/730.
> #                       Now runs on 11/780, 11/750, 11/730.

   Further:
> 4.3bsd
>         Name: 4.3BSD
>         Date: 1986-06
>         Reference: Quarter Century of UNIX by Peter Salus, pg 165
>         Successor to 4.2bsd

   I would add:

>         Code taken from DEC Ultrix with DEC's blessing
> #                       DNS added to the standard libc
> #                               (no MX records in Sendmail, though).
> #                       Added DEC's VAX 8600 and TMSCP support code
> #                               with DEC's blessing.
> #                       Added kernel-only support for MicroVAX II
> #                               (KA630). Without DEC's help!
> #                               It's unusable, though.

   Sorry, I don't know the Ultrix version (don't even know if it's a
release and not some DEC internal code), but it's obviously among the very
first.

   Further:
> 4.3tahoe
>         Name: 4.3BSD Tahoe
>         Date: 1988-06
>         Reference: Quarter Century of UNIX by Peter Salus, pg 165
>         Successor to 4.3bsd

   I would add:

>         Code taken from CCI's 4.2BSD-based vendor release
> #                       tahoe architecture support added.
> #                       VAX hardware support enhancements:
> #                           MicroVAX II (KA630) support made actually
> #                               usable and extended to support QVSS and
> #                               QDSS graphics.
> #                           VAX 8200 support added by Chris Torek.
> #                           New drivers for disk MSCP (U/Q and BI).
> #                       No distribution tapes for VAX ever shipped,
> #                               though.
> #                       MX record support in Sendmail!

   Further:
> 4.3reno
>         Name: 4.3BSD Reno
>         Date: 1990-06
>         Reference: Quarter Century of UNIX by Peter Salus, pg 165
>         Successor to 4.3tahoe

   I would add:

>         Influenced by Sun and DEC vendor systems (NFS and /var)
> #                       experimental hp300 architecture support added.
> #                       MicroVAX support extended to KA650 (MicroVAX III)
> #                               everywhere except the tmscp bootblock.

   Back to Warren:
> I'm missing details on many of the commercial versions of UNIX:
>
> + SunOS/Solaris
> [...]
> + Ultrix

   I know that SunOS and Ultrix played key roles in the history of BSD
(huge bidirectional exchange of code and ideas between CSRG, Sun, and DEC),
but I don't know anything about versions and such.

> + BSDI stuff

   Just like 386BSD, FreeBSD, and NetBSD, it's based on Net/2, 4.4BSD-Lite,
and 4.4BSD-Lite2. That's all I know.

   Sincerely,
   Michael Sokolov
   Cellular phone: 216-217-2579
   ARPA Internet SMTP mail: msokolov at harrier.Uznet.NET

	by minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au (8.9.1/8.9.1) id RAA17068
	for pups-liszt; Tue, 15 Dec 1998 17:11:10 +1100 (EST)