Ancient SunOS 1.1 tapes --- how to restore?

Billy Stivers alyosha at vrytekai.Corp.Sun.COM
Thu Dec 17 03:59:44 AEST 1998

Hey, Robert-

do you know if anybody from Sun Legal ever officially gave the okay
for that, because, as I was telling Warren, I have most SunOSes from
the very first V7 variant that they shipped, through the present day,
and it'd be a fairly simple matter to spool all of the sun1, sun2, and sun3
ones that are readable (should be a lot, they've been stored in carefully
climate-controlled and proper containers) to disk, and set the archives up
with them.  There are some really neat innovations in older SunOS, and it'd
be neat to compare them, and try to track the tech-crossfeeding with the
4BSD trees, and early SunOSes.  There's a lot of actual hands-on mucking
around by Bill Joy in some of the earliest releases.

	--Bill

>From: "User Rdkeys Robert D. Keys" <rdkeys at seedlab1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
>Subject: Re: Ancient SunOS 1.1 tapes --- how to restore?
>To: jimc at zach1.tiac.net (James E. Carpenter)
>Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 10:20:18 -0500 (EST)
>Cc: kahn at tholian.net, pups at minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au
>
>> > All I recall about pre 4.0 was that we were using SunOS 3.5 in '88. I'd
>> > like to think 3.2 came out in '85 or '86--but memory isn't what it used
>> > to be...
>>
>> I just took a quick look at my SunOS 3.2 tapes. The copyright file says:
>>
>>    Copyright (c) 1986 by Sun Microsystems, Inc.
>>
>> Most of the files seem to be dated September 1986. Many others are dated
>> July 1986.
>
>Speaking of old SunOS tapes..... I have a friend that dug out a pair
>of SunOS 1.1 tapes that he has had for years.  Alas, they are unreadable.
>Is there any way to rewrite those tapes from anyones archival materials?
>Sun has graciously allowed pre-sparc materials to be available on-line
>in the German Sun3 archives.  All they have seems to be SunOS-4.1.1,
>though.  I am wondering if there is any interest in some of the early
>Sun tapes?  Are the 1.1 tapes basically a 4.2BSD port?  Are they in
>QIC-11 or QIC-24 format?
>
>Thanks
>
>Bob Keys

                -- Mahatma Gandhi

	by minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au (8.9.1/8.9.1) id FAA24883
	for pups-liszt; Thu, 17 Dec 1998 05:36:19 +1100 (EST)