Ancient SunOS 1.1 tapes --- how to restore?

User Rdkeys Robert D. Keys rdkeys at seedlab1.cropsci.ncsu.edu
Thu Dec 17 04:29:27 AEST 1998

> Hey, Robert-
>
> do you know if anybody from Sun Legal ever officially gave the okay
> for that, because, as I was telling Warren, I have most SunOSes from
> the very first V7 variant that they shipped, through the present day,
> and it'd be a fairly simple matter to spool all of the sun1, sun2, and sun3
> ones that are readable (should be a lot, they've been stored in carefully
> climate-controlled and proper containers) to disk, and set the archives up
> with them.  There are some really neat innovations in older SunOS, and it'd
> be neat to compare them, and try to track the tech-crossfeeding with the
> 4BSD trees, and early SunOSes.  There's a lot of actual hands-on mucking
> around by Bill Joy in some of the earliest releases.
>
> 	--Bill
>
> >Speaking of old SunOS tapes..... I have a friend that dug out a pair
> >of SunOS 1.1 tapes that he has had for years.  Alas, they are unreadable.
> >Is there any way to rewrite those tapes from anyones archival materials?
> >Sun has graciously allowed pre-sparc materials to be available on-line
> >in the German Sun3 archives.  All they have seems to be SunOS-4.1.1,
> >though.  I am wondering if there is any interest in some of the early
> >Sun tapes?  Are the 1.1 tapes basically a 4.2BSD port?  Are they in
> >QIC-11 or QIC-24 format?

I think there is great potential in all of this.

AS I UNDERSTAND IT.....

Sun apparently gave the OK to a German archive site to put the the stuff
on-line.  That is, in fact, where I picked up my sun3 tapes to resurrect
my old box.  It only seems be be pre-sparc related 68000 based stuff.
The details were given on the web site, and were discussed on one
of the Sun newsfeeds.

Try the http://doener.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/  site, and it is explained
there.  The guy actually got Sun to OK it, as far as I know, but
I have no idea of the exact legalese involved, but memory tells
me it was Sun Germany that gave the go-ahead on it.

The site may have moved to http://sun3arc.krupp.net, since I was
thinking a move was in progress a couple of months back.
I think I got to it via a link from www.sunhelp.com or www.sunfreeware.com.

The idea occurred to me that IFF Sun has gone that far, we should check
into putting the older releases there, too, as they may still exist.
Also, perhaps, as they would fit under the Ancient Unix umbrella, I would
think, then PUPS/UHS should likewise take an interest in such potential.

I would be of the opinion that any of the pre-SysIII/SysV related stuff,
in addition to the purist ATT/Berkeley releases ought to be put back for
archival use, too, as it should be covered under the Ancient Unix umbrella.

If I am too far off on that, let me know.  I am but a very minor newbie
bit player in all of this.

Bob Keys

	by minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au (8.9.1/8.9.1) id FAA24923
	for pups-liszt; Thu, 17 Dec 1998 05:50:29 +1100 (EST)