Ancient SunOS Tapes for UHS archives?????

User Rdkeys Robert D. Keys rdkeys at seedlab1.cropsci.ncsu.edu
Thu Dec 17 04:43:43 AEST 1998

> Hey, Robert-
>
> do you know if anybody from Sun Legal ever officially gave the okay
> for that, because, as I was telling Warren, I have most SunOSes from
> the very first V7 variant that they shipped, through the present day,
> and it'd be a fairly simple matter to spool all of the sun1, sun2, and sun3
> ones that are readable (should be a lot, they've been stored in carefully
> climate-controlled and proper containers) to disk, and set the archives up
> with them.  There are some really neat innovations in older SunOS, and it'd
> be neat to compare them, and try to track the tech-crossfeeding with the
> 4BSD trees, and early SunOSes.  There's a lot of actual hands-on mucking
> around by Bill Joy in some of the earliest releases.
>
> 	--Bill

It would be fun to see some of Bill Joy's hacks....(:+}}.....

I went to the archive site  http://sun3arc.krupp.net
and it attributes the permission to archive materials to a
Mr. Knieriem of SUN Germany, Research and Education.

One of the UHS folks might try to contact said Mr. Knieriem
to see if adding some of our other early stuff would be feasible.
The sun3arc site only has binaries, though.

I would assume the PUPS/UHS archives might work out some kind
of binary and source arrangement, perhaps?

Someone other than the tailwagging newbie here, should persue
this and see where it goes?

Mebbie we has started somethin' 'ere, methinks....(:+}}.....

Bob Keys

	by minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au (8.9.1/8.9.1) id GAA25126
	for pups-liszt; Thu, 17 Dec 1998 06:45:26 +1100 (EST)