Bob Supnik's Emulator.

Warren Toomey wkt at henry.cs.adfa.oz.au
Wed Dec 30 08:51:34 AEST 1998

In article by Robin Birch:
> Dear All,
> I've been struggling with Bob's emulator (version 2.3d).  The main
> problem appears to be around the TM device driver.  I've been creating
> boot programs and data on my 11/73 under 2.11 BSD.
>
> To do this I've been using the makesimtape program.  This hasn't worked
> very well.  I've had to make individual files for each of the standalone
> utilities as I havn't been able to get the emulator to find files beyond
> the first one.  For instance if I make a standalone file consisting of
> the bootstrap, boot, disklabel, mkfs, restor and inode then I can boot
> the processor and load and run disklabel but nothing beyond this.

The format of a tape image is described in simh_doc.txt in Appendix 1.3,
at roughly line 2,473 of the file. Perhaps the makesimtape program isn't
making the tape correctly. What arguments are you giving it?

On a silly note, if there is only a single thing on the tape you are trying
to restor, you could always save it without the record structure imposed
by makesimtape, attach it as RL00, and then restor it from /dev/rl00 :-)

Best of luck,
	Warren

	by minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au (8.9.1/8.9.1) id JAA14858
	for pups-liszt; Wed, 30 Dec 1998 09:51:34 +1100 (EST)