CD-ROM from SCO unlikely

Warren Toomey wkt at henry.cs.adfa.oz.au
Thu Feb 26 09:35:25 AEST 1998

> Don't say I didn't tell you.

Oh, I was expecting this.

> I wonder if it's worth doing CD-ROMs for a few hundred people.
> Initially you might sell 200, but then the rest would come over a
> period of time, during which there would be updates.  In addition, the
> CD-ROM format isn't ideal for everybody: many would like it on tape.
> I'd suggest that somebody cut WORMs for those who want it on CD-ROM,
> and tapes for those who want it on tape.  I can offer a variety of
> tape formats, including (soon, hopefully) whatever a TS05 can write
> (what's that?  1600bpi?), but not WORMs.

I'd like to see:

	+ a number of volunteers who are prepared to cut CD-ROMs
	+ a number of volunteers who are prepared to cut tapes
	+ a number of volunteers who are prepared to build kernels

in several countries (Australia, U.K, USA, Europe). Each can keep a
reserve of distribution media as they wish. I'm hoping the CD-ROM
image won't change more than once a year.

As you saw, Dion would send us details of new license owners, probably
via PGP-signed email. I'd like to pass the info on PGP-signed, so I'd
need the volunteers to have PGP too.

If we have a FAQ, we can list the people to ask for tapes, CD-ROMs etc.
You are allowed to charge for copying and distribution.

We're going to have to work on this in the next few months.

Thanks for all your suggestions & volunteering!

	Warren