Does anybody have an assembler in C?

Tim Shoppa shoppa at alph02.triumf.ca
Thu Mar 12 04:21:00 AEST 1998

> > Tim Shoppa I believe is familiar with the "chip" or "sunchip" tar bundle
> > that contained a PDP-11 C compiler, assembler and loader.
>
> Vaguely.  I'll try to track down the exact reference - I'm not
> sure whether your referring to the DECUS C package or not.

Taking a quick look at the DECUS C package, I see that isn't the answer.
There's an "as"-style assembler there written in MACRO-11, though :-).

I think you were referring to the XINU-11 package available by anonymous
ftp from sunsite:

ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/academic/computer-science/history/pdp-11/xinu

in particular, if you look in

ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/academic/computer-science/history/pdp-11/xinu/
    unpacked/src/cmd/as11

you'll find the "as11" sources in C, specifically written for BSD4.3 on
a VAX.

I have to admit that I'm not fully aware of the copyrights regarding
the XINU package.  If research shows that this is freely distributable,
is this something we'd want to distribute through the PUPS archive,
Warren?

Tim. (shoppa at triumf.ca)