Progress on zcat

Peter Chubb peterc at softway.com.au
Thu Mar 26 14:21:00 AEST 1998

Well...
	my cut-down zcat now works under Linux, and compiles and links
	cleanly under v7 on the simulator.  But the semantics are
	wrong!

	Big problem is the lack of unsigned char and unsigned long
	types.

	I'm gradually going through and finding places where left
	shifts, or sign extensions are happening, and masking them
	explicitly.

	I'm almost sure that at UNSW we had a C compiler on Unix V7 that had
	an unsigned long data type...

	Anyway, there's progress.  And if it all goes OK, then
	on machines that have separate I&D spaces, the resulting zcat
	will be compatible with gzip everywhere.

	Peter C