Bug in Bob Supnik's Emulator!

Ed G. edgee at cyberpass.net
Fri Mar 27 12:51:31 AEST 1998

As you know, I wrote this list recently about a bug in Bob Supnik's
emulator which manifests when running factor (1).

I've had a chance to do some further research on this, and it seems
to me that the bug is definitely in Supnik's emulator.  What do you
all think?  Am I onto something?  If so, what part of Supnik's code
is probably to blame?

Here's what I've learned so far:

1. factor on Supnik's emulator fails most of the time (see below for
examples).

2. factor works fine on Ersatz-11

2. On the off-chance that I munged the disk images and somehow
corrupted factor, I reextracted virgin images from the tar ball.
factor still fails while running on Supnik's emulator.

3. Peter Turnbull wrote me that factor running on under uv7 on his
PDP-11/23 runs the test case 'factor 6' without error.

Here's what factor does on Supnik's emulator for a variety of values:

factor 6
2
3
17